It’s recipe time!
Chocolate plus mousse plus cake!! Has anyone else heard such amazing words than these???
This delicious cake is layers of chocolate goodness. The outside of the cake is covered in luscious creamy chocolate mousse while the inside consists of light chocolate cake layers and the same chocolate mousse. It’s like a match made in heaven!!
The recipe is also quick and easy! It’s fool proof! And with Valentine’s Day so close there’s not better excuse than to make this cake for your special loved one.
Clink the link to check out the video tutorial for this delicious recipe
- 125g butter (softened or at room temp)
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 sour cream or greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heaped plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 200g dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream for whipping
- Freshly popped popcorn
- Dark Choc Chips
- Preheat oven to 185 degree and line the base and sides of an 8 inch cake tin with baking parchment paper.
- In a standard mixing bowl with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mixing together after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour, cocoa powder and coffee granules. Mixing to combine
- In a small separate bowl combine the white wine vinegar and baking soda (this will bubble/ fizz). Add this to the cake mix.
- Mix to combine
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- To make the chocolate mousse, melt the chocolate and sugar together (I did mine over a Bain Marie)
- Add the cream and vanilla extract. Stir to combine until smooth then remove from the heat and set aside to cool
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form and then add the chocolate mix.
- Gently stir to combine.
Assemble the cake:
- Once the cake has completely cool cut into thirds (it’s a layered cake so cut horizontal)
- Place the bottom layer straight onto the base you’ll be serving the cake on.
- Generously spread the mousse across the first layer of the cake.
- Place the middle layer of the cake on top of the mousse and again generously spread another layer of mousse on top of the cake.
- Place the top of the cake onto the assembled cake and completely cover with remaining chocolate mousse.
- Decorate your cake however you like- I used popcorn and choc chips. Chocolate shavings might also work well.
- Place in fridge and allow to set for an hour.